In Syria, coalition military forces conducted 14 airstrikes using bomber, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft.
18th Jul 2015
July 17, 2015
Release # 20150717
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria and Iraq
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On July 16, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted 14 airstrikes using bomber, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 12 airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using bomber, attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
“The airstrikes conducted in the past 24 hours continue to destroy Daesh’s capability to conduct terrorist attacks in the region,” said Col. Wayne Marotto, CJTF-OIR chief of public affairs. “Coalition airstrikes are degrading Daesh’s ability to maintain territory in the region.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
· Near Al Hasakah, nine airstrikes struck seven ISIL tactical units and destroyed six ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL vehicles, an ISIL structure and an ISIL VBIED.
· Near Ar Raqqah, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL excavator, three ISIL bridges and an ISIL T-wall.
· Near Tal Abyad, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
· Near Bayji, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tank and destroyed an ISIL sniper position and four ISIL buildings.
· Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building.
· Near Haditha, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL VBIED, an ISIL boat and an ISIL barge.
· Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL technical vehicle, an ISIL mortar tube, two ISIL buildings and an ISIL bunker.
· Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL up-armored HMMWV.
· Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL rocket position and destroyed an ISIL technical vehicle, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL building.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and the U.S.